- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mar y Sol
Mar y Sol Review
Linger over a fine French-accented dinner at this chic but casual terrace restaurant—it's truly one of the best dining experiences in Costa Rica. Come early to catch the spectacular sunset view over the ocean from the popular second-floor cocktail lounge perched on a breezy hillside. Chef/owner Jean-Luc Taulere represents the eighth generation of a family of French restaurateurs, so of course there is traditional French onion soup and chateaubriand for two on the menu. Even more interesting are young Jean-Luc's creative fusions of French tradition with tropical flavors, such as duck confit served with a polenta cake and fresh plum sauce. For smaller appetites there's a menu of medium-size dishes, such as yuca-encrusted yellowfin tuna with a citrus reduction sauce. Popular starters include the restaurant's signature dish: coco del mar, a not-to-be-missed mélange of local seafood, flavored with ginger and lemongrass and cooked in lobster stock and fresh coconut milk. Instead of classic crème brûlée, there's a guava flan, along with cool and luscious homemade coconut ice cream. An extensive wine cellar matches the sophisticated menu, and you can sample 20 or so wines by the glass. Service is faultless and smoothly professional.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Just a heads up for any who may have booked TACA via LA or NY.
http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Avianca-Taca-drops-five-nonstop-flights-to-Costa-Rica-lays-off-261-employees_Saturday-May-18-2013 Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more