- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Hotel Punta Islita
At a Glance
- gorgeous views
- ultraluxurious rooms
- top-notch service
- distant beach
- very pricey
- steep paths to and from restaurant and beach club but there is a shuttle van
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Hotel Punta Islita Review
Overlooking the ocean from a forested ridge, this secluded and sublime hotel is luxury incarnate, with villas, casitas, suites, and spacious rooms sprinkled around the bougainvillea-bedecked hillside. King-size beds have rough-hewn wooden bedposts and filmy curtains, and bathrooms are tiled, with deep tubs and mosaic detailing. Casitas and suites have their own private plunge pools or outdoor whirlpools and private gardens with a hammock, one of the main attractions for the many honeymooners. A massive thatched palapa covers the main restaurant, which opens onto an infinity-edge pool with an endless ocean view and a swim-up bar. Breakfasts, included in the rate, are excellent, as are lunches down at the breezy Beach Club, with its own oceanfront swimming pool. The food at the flagship 1492 Restaurant, though good, still doesn't reach the heights you would expect here. Service is impeccable and very personal—everyone knows your name. If you overdo it with the activities here—including golfing, mountain biking, horseback riding, and zip-line tours—stop by the tranquil, garden spa for sybaritic massage treatments using local herbs. The hotel works hard at being sustainable; its extensive community involvement has earned it the top five-leaf rating.
- Address: 16 km (11 miles) south of Playa Carrillo, Punta Islita | Map It
- Phone: 2231-6122 in San José; 2656-2020 hotel; 866/446-4053 toll-free U.S.
- Website: www.hotelpuntaislita.com
- Location: Punta Islita
- 14 rooms, 8 suites, 8 casitas, 25 villas.
- Rate includes breakfast.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more