- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge and Reserve
At a Glance
- many activities
- plenty of wildlife
- rough trip to get here
- expensive for amenities provided
- property in need of renovation
Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge and Reserve Review
Toucans, sloths, great green macaws, howler and spider monkeys, vested anteaters, and tapirs may be on hand to greet you when you arrive at the lodge and cabins in Costa Rica's most popular private reserves, open only to overnight guests. Accommodations are basic, with minimal amenities and no electricity, and are available in the Waterfall Lodge, near a 59-meter (197-foot) waterfall; Las Casitas, two-room cabins with shared bath and cold water; or the River Edge Cabin, a 10-minute walk through the forest. Rates include guides, day tours, and meals. It's time-consuming to get here—your journey from Las Horquetas is on a tractor-pulled cart ($10 one way)—so the minimum stay is two nights.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more