- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Laguna del Lagarto Lodge
At a Glance
- birders paradise
- attentive service
- great excursions
- rough road to get here
- Spartan rooms
- no Wi-Fi or cell-phone signal
Check Rates from our Partners
Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Review
At one of Costa Rica's smaller and more remote eco-lodges, rustic cabins with single beds are surrounded by a 1,250-acre rain forest near the Nicaraguan border that gives shelter to 350 bird species and counting. Buffet-style meals are served on a patio with river and forest views. Rates include one guided walk on the 10 km (6 miles) of forest trails, a tour of the butterfly garden, and use of canoes. Recommended extras include horseback riding and a boat trip up to the border on the San Carlos River. (Bring your passport, since the river is officially Nicaraguan territory.) Ask about transfers available (at extra cost) from various points, including San José. The knowledgeable personnel here speak German, in addition to the requisite English and Spanish.
- Address: 7 km (4 miles) north of Boca Tapada, 135 km (78 miles) northeast of Ciudad Quesada, Ciudad Quesada, 21006
- Phone: 2289-8163 in San José
- Website: www.lagarto-lodge-costa-rica.com
- Location: Ciudad Quesada (San Carlos)
- 20 rooms, 18 with bath.
- Rate includes no meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more