San José Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to San José
Eating out: After traveling around Costa Rica eating mostly rice and beans and chicken, you'll appreciate San José's varied restaurants.
Gold and Jade museums: For a sense of indigenous Costa Rica, frequently forgotten during the nation's march to modernity, the country's two best museums are must-sees.
Historic Barrios Amón and Otoya: These northern neighborhoods abutting and sometimes overlapping downtown have quiet tree-lined streets and century-old houses turned trendy hotels and restaurants.
Location, location, location: From the capital's pivotal position, you can be on a coffee tour, at the base of a giant volcano, or riding river rapids in just 30 minutes.
Shopping: San José is the best place to stock up on both essentials and souvenirs. Look for folkloric crafts, ceramics, textiles, leather-and-wood rocking chairs, and, of course, coffee.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste