South Pacific Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the South Pacific Coast
Bird-watching: Yields such beauties as scarlet macaws and the resplendent quetzal.
Enormous Corcovado National Park: The last refuge of such endangered species as jaguars and tapirs.
Kayaking: Head to the Golfo Dulce or along the jungly channels of the Sierpe or Colorado rivers.
Mountain hikes: Hikes that range from easy daytime treks around luxurious lodges to Costa Rica's toughest: 3,810-meter (12,500-foot) Cerro Chirripó.
Wild places to stay: Relax in the country's top eco-lodges, rustic thatch-roof beach bungalows, and cozy mountain cabins.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations