- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- lush garden
- convivial public area
- small but excellent gift shop
- steep, short trails that end at road
- limited privacy except in honeymoon suite
Trogón Lodge Review
Set in a fantasy garden filled with fuchsias, hydrangeas, and hummingbirds, the Trogón Lodge is more a relaxing hideaway than a hiking-heavy destination. The green-roof wooden cabins have comfortable rooms with a double and a single bed and big windows. White-tile bathrooms have rain-forest showerheads. Gas heaters and extra blankets guard against chilly mountain nights. The only drawback is that units have shared verandas overlooking the cloud forest. A honeymoon cabin perched in solitary splendor has a king-size bed and a whirlpool tub with a panoramic view. Excellent meals featuring fresh trout are served at tree-trunk tables in a cozy restaurant with a wood stove. A bar and dining terrace gaze out over cascading trout ponds and the rushing river. Quetzal-watching, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, and an 11-platform canopy tour are some of the diversions.
- Address: Road to San Gerardo de Dota, 7½ km (4½ mile) down a dirt road from the Pan-American Hwy., San Gerardo de Dota, 11702
- Phone: 2740-1051; 2293-8181 in San José
- Website: www.grupomawamba.com
- Location: San Gerardo de Dota
- 22 rooms, 1 suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Does it really take 8 hours to drive from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez? Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more