- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- proximity to beach and access on foot to Corcovado Park
- excellent food
- party atmosphere
- very steep trip to lodge and down to beach
- limited communication with outside world
- cabins have more privacy than lodge rooms
Lookout Inn Review
This lively, barefoot inn—shoes come off at the bottom step—is set on a precipitous hillside with a spectacular panorama that includes a colorful garden and scarlet macaws foraging in the almond trees that line the beach. Energetic owner Terry Conroy makes sure everyone joins in the fun, and his serene wife, Katya, makes a mean margarita. Steep stairs are plentiful here, including a 500-step "Stairway to Heaven" up to an even loftier lookout, where the odd puma has been spotted. Comfortable rooms in the lodge have huge ceramic bathrooms. Two wooden cabins are perfect for those craving privacy. The Monkey House cabin is great for families. Less-expensive tentlike tiki cabinas sit on 10-foot platforms and share a bathhouse. Inventive meals with lots of fresh fish are served on two breezy terraces with spectacular views of the coastline. The breakfast buffet is served on a huge patio where monkeys come to feast on bananas. There's also a small, spring-fed plunge pool with a hammock rancho, a yoga deck, a spa, a shaded beach pavilion, and a bird-watching trail through primary forest. The hotel organizes beach and trail rides on horseback.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more