- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
El Trapiche de Nayo
El Trapiche de Nayo Review
This rustic open-air restaurant with a panoramic valley view serves the kind of food Ticos eat at turnos (village fund-raising festivals), including hard-to-find sopa de mondongo (tripe soup). Easier to stomach are the gallos (do-it-yourself tortillas) stuffed with hearts of palm, root vegetables, and wood-fire-cooked chicken. On Saturday, raw sugarcane is pressed in an antique mill and boiled in huge iron cauldrons to make smooth sobado, a molasses-flavored fudge. Service is leisurely, to say the least, but there is lots of birdlife to watch in the surrounding trees while you wait. The restrooms have been upgraded, so it's a decent pit stop, too. It's open 7 am to 7 pm daily.
- Address: Pan-American Hwy., 6 km (4 miles) north of San Isidro, San Isidro, 11901
- Phone: 2771-7267
- Location: San Isidro de El General
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Just a heads up for any who may have booked TACA via LA or NY.
http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Avianca-Taca-drops-five-nonstop-flights-to-Costa-Rica-lays-off-261-employees_Saturday-May-18-2013 Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more