- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Exotica Restaurant Review
In the tiny French-Canadian enclave of Ojochal, this intimate thatch-roofed restaurant, where 10 tables are encased in greenery, has been serving superb French-inspired fare for more than a decade. You'll be warmly welcomed by Lucy, the restaurant's chic and charming owner. For starters, there's a tangy and refreshing avocado, pineapple, lime, and cilantro appetizer, or an intriguing Tahitian fish carpaccio with bananas. Don't miss out on a hearty serving of fish or shrimp in a banana-curry sauce, or a spicy Vietnamese chicken soup. French favorites include cognac liver pâté and a pricey but excellent duck breast with orange sauce. Presentation is artistic, with garnishes of flowers and sprigs of exotic greenery. Desserts are all homemade, luscious, and reasonably priced. Chocoholics won't want to miss the chocolate chiffon cake with chocolate sauce and an accompanying shot glass of cocoa liqueur.
- Address: Main road into Ojochal, off Costanera Highway, Ojochal, 60504
- Phone: 2786-5050
- Location: Ballena Marine National Park
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Sun.; Sept. and Oct. No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
4 of us spent a week in Costa Rica, mid-April. Read more
We will be in Costa Rica this summer and we all have snorkel gear. Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more