- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- fabulous views
- bargain prices
- serene setting
- very steep road that requires 4WD
- must love dogs
Pacific Edge Review
Private, spacious wood cabins—one sleeps six, others sleep four—have kitchenettes, tiled bathrooms, hammocks strung on wide porches, and comfortable mattresses covered with colorful Guatemalan bedspreads. Unbeatable views and affordable prices set these stylishly rustic cabins apart. The forest grows right up to the edge of the property, high on a mountain ridge south of town. Host Susie Atkinson serves great breakfasts in the lodge's bamboo-roof, pagoda-style dining room. Dinner—Thai-style shrimp, perhaps—is cooked on request. Two lookout towers at each end of the tiny pool and a viewing deck catch the spectacular sunsets and passing whale pods. The road up to this lofty perch requires a 4WD vehicle, but the hotel owners can pick you up in town with advance notice. Be prepared for a barky welcome; Susie and her husband, George, love big (but gentle) dogs. The reception desk closes at 6 pm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Just a heads up for any who may have booked TACA via LA or NY.
http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Avianca-Taca-drops-five-nonstop-flights-to-Costa-Rica-lays-off-261-employees_Saturday-May-18-2013 Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more