- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tilapias El Pavón
Tilapias El Pavón Review
To enjoy an authentically Tico day in the country, follow a winding river road up to this family-run tilapia fish farm in the tiny hamlet of Vergel. You can work up an appetite on a short hike to a spectacular, nearby waterfall with a swimming hole (bring your swimsuit and binoculars for bird-watching), then catch your own tilapia. The cooks at the open-air wooden restaurant overlooking the tidily kept fishponds will fry up your fish in 10 minutes, presenting it whole or filleted, with rice, salad, yuca, and excellent patacones (fried, mashed plantains), plus a pitcher of refreshing fruit naturale, a feast for only $9. There's also wine and beer. It's open 9-6 weekdays, 9-8 weekends, so it's a good spot for lunch or an early dinner.
- Address: 2 km (1 mi) south of Ojochal, just before bridge in Punta Mala, follow a dirt road 4 km (2½ miles) uphill to tiny hamlet of Vergel, Ballena Marine National Park, 60504
- Phone: 8311-8213
- Location: Ballena Marine National Park
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Planning a bachelor party for 5 guys in Tamarindo in the beginning of June. Read more
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
I was hoping I could get a few recommendations on what towns/cities/beaches/attractions to go to in Costa Rica. We are all adventurous people and would love hiking, exploring, etc. We arent huge Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more