- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Rio Tico Safari Lodge
At a Glance
- gorgeous natural setting
- dry and airy tents
- helpful hosts
- some steps to climb up and down from main lodge to tents
Check Rates from our Partners
Rio Tico Safari Lodge Review
You'll feel as though you're on a luxury safari when you step inside one of these spacious South African-made tents. They're perched on sturdy wooden platforms that are cantilevered over a rushing mountain river. There's lots of head room, electricity for reading lights and fans, comfortable beds, and—even more civilized—a private, spring-fresh bathroom with hot shower just a zippered compartment away. You can enjoy bird-watching and river views from your own verandah, hike forest trails to a nearby waterfall or follow the stepping stones to explore the other side of the river, bask on a sun-baked rock in the middle of the river, or go horseback riding. This camper's paradise is the creation of an energetic, eco-minded Dutch couple. Breakfast ($7 per person) is excellent—tropical fruits and Dutch pancakes are highlights—served in a stylish, open-air lodge with Wi-Fi connections. For guests who prefer to stay in the lodge, there are three comfortable rooms. Tea and coffee are available, along with healthy snacks. There's no lunch or dinner, but Tilapias del Pavon is just down the road.
- Address: 4 km (2 1/2 miles) up dirt road between Ojachal and Vergel de Punta Mala, turnoff just before bridge in Punta Mala, Vergel de Punta Mala
- Phone: 8996-7935
- Website: www.riotico.com
- Location: Ballena Marine National Park
- 9 tents, 3 rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Just a heads up for any who may have booked TACA via LA or NY.
http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Avianca-Taca-drops-five-nonstop-flights-to-Costa-Rica-lays-off-261-employees_Saturday-May-18-2013 Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more