Hours of Operation
Hours of Operation
Like the rest of the world, Costa Rica's business hours have been expanding. Megamalls are usually open seven days a week, opening around 10 am and closing around 9 pm; tourism-based businesses and museums also usually keep a Monday-to-Sunday schedule but open an hour earlier. Many smaller or rural museums are open weekdays. National parks often close one day for maintenance; for example, Manuel Antonio is closed Monday. Restaurants in the city often close Sunday, and sometimes Monday. Eateries in beach towns and other tourism-oriented areas are more likely to open seven days a week. Bars and nightclubs are generally open until 1 or 2 am, at which time night owls flock to places like El Pueblo center in San José to keep partying until 4 am. Last calls vary from place to place.
Some government offices and smaller businesses close for lunch, especially in rural areas, but jornada continúa (without the lunch break) is becoming more common in San José and its suburbs, and most commercial establishments follow an 8 am to 5 pm schedule.
Three public holidays (April 11, July 25, and October 12) are bumped to the following Monday when they fall on a weekend or midweek. Government offices and commercial establishments observe all the holidays. The only days the country truly shuts down are Holy Thursday and Good Friday; some buses still run, but no alcohol can be purchased, and most restaurants and all stores are closed.
January 1: New Year (Año Nuevo)
April 11: Juan Santamaría Day, a national hero
Easter Week: Thursday and Good Friday, religious activities (Semana Santa)
May 1: International Labor Day (Día del Trabajador)
July 25: Annexation of Guanacaste Province (Anexión de Guanacaste)
August 2: Day of the Virgin of Los Angeles, patron saint of Costa Rica (Virgen de los Ángeles)
August 15: Mother's Day (Día de la Madre)
September 15: Independence Day (Día de Independencia)
October 12: Culture Day (Día de la Cultura, or Día de la Raza)
December 25: Christmas (Navidad)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59 -- Costa Rica Beach & Golf Resort w/Breakfast, 65% Off Bookit.com
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- Costa Rica Family IExplore
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations