- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To reach Antigua, drive west out of Guatemala City via the Calzada Roosevelt, which becomes the Pan-American Highway. Signs direct you either to "Antigua" or "Antigua Guatemala." At San Lucas Sacatepéquez, turn right off the highway and drive south to Antigua. The last several kilometers before Antigua have a steep descent. Note the "frene con motor" warnings ("engine brake")—use your lowest gear—and the "rampa de emergencia" signs for the three emergency off-ramps for vehicles whose brakes give out. If you're coming from the highlands, head south near Chimaltenango.
All non-resident drivers must pay a daily Q10 fee to park on any city street. The permit takes the form of a tag (marbete) you hang from your rear-view mirror. They are sold at police checkpoints at the main entrances to town, or by officers roaming the streets wearing blue vests that say "control de estacionamiento" (parking control). Tags change color each day; you must buy a new one. The rules are strictly enforced. We recommend avoiding the need for all this and leaving your vehicle in your hotel's lot. (Off-street parking is exempt from the daily fee.) Better yet, don't bring a vehicle into Antigua at all.
If you want to rent a car to explore Antigua, it's a good idea to do so in Guatemala City's Aeropuerto Internacional La Aurora. In Antigua, reputable local agencies are Ahorrent and Tabarini.
Local Car-Rental Agencies
Ahorrent 2332-7744. www.ahorrent.com.
Tabarini 7832-8107. www.tabarini.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Pan American 3 Nts in May Fr $62+/Nt Save with Expedia, $34/night less
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $115+/Nt Travelocity
- Guatemala City Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Expedia
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $80+/Nt — $80 Travelocity
- Vista Real Guatemala on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $183+/Nt — $183 Save with Expedia, $6/night less