- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sayaxché and Ceibal
Though Ceibal can be reached via a dirt road that floods during the rainy season, it's best accessed by boat on the Río de la Pasión, followed by a half-hour ascent through the forest.
Down a newly paved road from Flores, this muddy frontier town on the southern bank of the Río de La Pasión is a good base for exploring the southern reaches of El Petén. This is river country, and La Pasión and Petexbatún rivers lead to a number of important yet largely unvisited ruins in various stages of excavation.
Sayaxché and Ceibal at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in El Petén
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore