The Atlantic Lowlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Cruise through a canyon: A boat trip up or down the canyoned Río Dulce is Guatemala's signature eco-excursion.
Groove to the punta: Toto, I don't think we're in the highlands anymore. The region's most popular music has its roots in far-away Africa.
Ponder the intricacies of the Maya: Quiriguá, in Guatemala, and Copán, just over the Honduran border, are two of the Mayan world's best preserved ruins complexes. The minutiae of their stelae are still intact to this day.
Soak those aching muscles: The hot springs at various points along the Río Dulce make perfect places for a dip, and all the boat excursions make a stop.
Take a walk on the wild side: Some of the country's best birding and wildlife observation strings along the Río Dulce and Lago Izabal.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore