- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Río Dulce is a major transportation hub: drive south and you'll hit the road connecting Guatemala City with the Caribbean coast; head north and you'll eventually reach El Petén.
Litegua offers direct bus service to Río Dulce from Guatemala City several times daily, leaving the capital throughout the day and night. Tickets cost Q50. Linea Dorada runs between Guatemala City and Flores in El Petén, passing through Río Dulce, the route's halfway-ish point. Buses leave the capital daily at 10. The trip to Río Dulce takes about five hours, getting you in around 3 am. Tickets cost Q48.
A few tour operators have offices in Río Dulce. Gray Line Guatemala runs shuttles to and from Guatemala City and Antigua from here. Otitours, which is based here, also runs shuttles to the capital, Antigua, Tikal, and Copán, Honduras.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore