June through October is the season for daylong rafting excursions to the beginners' Río Coyolate (Class II-III), the slightly more difficult Río Nahualate (Class III), and the Río Naranjo (Class III-IV) for experienced rafters only. All are within striking distance of Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa and Retalhuleu, but all excursions leave from Guatemala City. Also departing from the capital are one-day excursions on the Río Los Esclavos (Class III-IV) near Escuintla.
Maya Expeditions offers trips that range from easy to challenging.The town sits just off Highway CA-2. 15 Calle A 14-07, Zona 1. 2363-4955. www.mayaexpeditions.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore