- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The Río Cangrejal is one of the top spots in Central America for white-water rafting, offering Class II, III, and IV rapids. The river also borders the Pico Bonito National Park, and new resorts and activities are springing up almost daily.
One of the original rafting lodges on the Cangrejal River, Omega Jungle Lodge has a top-quality staff of guides for rafting and kayaking trips, as well as horseback riding and jungle hiking. The lodge has operated since 1992, and has dorm-style accommodations or private cabins. The newest accommodations are second-floor suites with screened walls providing incredible views of the verdant hills, and bird-watching from your own room. There is a pool, and meals are served every day in the champa dining room. It's a lot like summer camp for adults, and all the services are the best in town. El Naranjo, south of La Ceiba, La Ceiba. 440-0334 or 9631-0295. www.omegatours.info.
Jungle River Rafting and Adventures offers half- and full-day rafting trips on the Río Cangrejal, as well as hiking expeditions up Pico Bonito. Av. La Republica between Calle 12 and 13, Barrio Solares Nuevo, La Ceiba. 440-1268 or 9802-6648. www.jungleriverlodge.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91-$97 -- Suite at 4-Diamond Cabo Family Resort, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $60-$96 -- Cancun All-Inclusive Water Park Resort, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com