- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Getting Here and Around
La Ceiba's Golosón International Airport is 12 km (7 mi) from La Ceiba. Taxis from the airport to downtown cost around L150 per car, or L20 per person if you go in a colectivo. TACA/Isleña Airlines, Sosa, Lanhsa, and Aviac all fly out of La Ceiba to various destinations, including Roatán, Utila and Guanaja, San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa, plus Puerto Lempira and Brus Laguna in La Mosquitia.
By car, the drive to Tela takes around an hour on the two-lane highway. It's another 1.5 hours from Tela to San Pedro Sula. Bus lines here include deluxe lines Hedman Alas and Viana, direct lines Catisa Tupsa and Cristina, plus slower buses Cotraibal and Cotuc. All have daily service in and out of the city.
Though often expensive, tour operators can make otherwise impossible journeys feasible. La Ceiba has many fine tour companies, and is a good place to launch a trip to the remote areas of La Mosquitia. La Moskitia Ecoadventures is among the best-regarded in La Ceiba, and head guide Jorge Salaverri is an expert on the region. La Ceiba's three visitor center branches organize hikes through the Pico Bonito forest and Cangrejal River watershed. The branch located on the main road back to the El Naranjo area is open daily.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91-$97 -- Suite at 4-Diamond Cabo Family Resort, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $60-$96 -- Cancun All-Inclusive Water Park Resort, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com