- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
A sparkling ocean view and spectacular waterfalls where the Sierra de Omoa meets the Caribbean have made this former fishing village an emerging vacation destination for budget travelers. Tourism has lulled here in recent years after shifting currents flooded Omoa's once-seductive beaches. The town is mostly a resting point for travelers headed west to the Guatemalan border or onto Belize. Still, the quiet waterfront community is worth a night's stay if you've got the time to slow down.
Spanish explorers in Guatemala City established Omoa and its port in 1536 to ship goods back to Europe. The town was officially incorporated in 1752 and later became Honduras's most important bastion in protecting Spanish gold from looters. Following independence in 1821, the town's influence declined as shipping moved east to Puerto Cortés. With loans from the Inter-American Development Bank, the historic fortress has reemerged as the top historical site in the area.
The town is small, and addresses haven't caught on—hotels on the beach just say they are on la playa, a zone mostly huddled around the Muelle Artesanal de Omoa. There is just one main road, so either turn left or right.
Omoa at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com