- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Getting Here and Around
Minibuses from San Pedro Sula's central terminal leave everyday from 5:45 am-5 pm to Puerto Cortés and drop arriving passengers off at Av. 4, Calle 3. Buses charge L40 for express service and less for buses that make frequent stops. Some also head straight to the Corinto border crossing in Guatemala, a three-hour drive away from Puerto Cortés. (.)
For drivers it's a straight shot north from San Pedro Sula on the Puerto Cortés highway. To travel beyond the port town, buses and cars must head back to San Pedro Sula and head northeast to Tela, La Ceiba, and beyond.
The Nesymein Neydy Water Taxi to Dangriga, Belize, leaves from Puerto Cortés at 9 am on Monday and Tuesday, with stops in Punta Gorda, and arrives at 2 pm in good weather. From Dangriga, boats leave on Thursday and Saturday at 9 am. The D-Express to Placencia makes one trip from Puerto Cortés on Monday at 11:30 am, with a stop in Big Creek along the two-hour journey, and departs once from Belize on Friday at 9:30 am. For both ferries, it's crucial to buy tickets the day before to secure a spot and present your passport. Departures are often subject to long delays or cancellation.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com