- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Garífuna women stride gracefully along the shore with baskets of coconut bread balanced on their heads near the Bahía de Tela, a delightful town on the northern coast. Its sweeping beaches and undisturbed nature reserves have long drawn visitors from around the world to experience an unexpected blend of tranquility and adventure.
In Tela Viejo, to the west of Río Lancetilla, Cajun-style houses with lattices and plank walls in pink, yellow, and turquoise recall Tela's heyday as a so-called banana republic. Vendors at steel street carts push crispy chips of fried plantains, the Garífuna staple, as residents seek shade in the palm-lined Parque Central. Busy streets lead out to the leisurely pedestrian walkway along the sand, where world-class restaurants and hotels are shaking this town's sleepy image to draw in visitors.
The calle principal (main street) heads east over the historic bridge into Tela Nuevo's residential neighborhoods and secluded villas. Natural parks and tropical excursions surround the former port city on either side.
Tela at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com