- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Buses run frequently along the country's northern coast. La Ceiba is unusual in that it has a central bus station, although the deluxe bus companies such as Viana and Hedman have their own terminals. Direct can be a relative term depending on the bus company. Deluxe operators stop for no one, while most other lines go to only one city, meaning direct trips will still stop for many people along the route, including food vendors and bus-to-bus salesmen.
Transportes Mirna and and Tela Express run between La Ceiba and Tela. The (supposedly) hourly service by Catisa-Tupsa between San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba stops at Tela, as do the Cotraibal and Cotuc buses that travel from San Pedro to La Ceiba and Trujillo, with stops in Tocoa.
Expresos del Atlántico offers speedy direct buses between Puerto Cortés and San Pedro Sula, whereas Impala and Citul offer achingly slow service. There are no direct buses to Omoa, although buses en route to Puerto Cortés will drop passengers off at the Omoa exit. A public bus swings by the stop every 15 minutes or so.
Catisa-Tupsa. Terminal San José, La Ceiba. 441-2539. Terminal Metropolitana, San Pedro Sula. 509-0442.
Citul. Av. 4 between Cs. 3 and 4, Puerto Cortés. 665-0466. Terminal Metropolitana, San Pedro Sula. 547-1462.
Cotraibal. Barrio El Centro, Trujillo. 434-4932. Terminal Metropolitana, San Pedro Sula. 9763-0513.
Cotuc. C. 18 de Septiembre, Trujillo. 444-2181. C. Principal, La Ceiba. 441-2181.
Expresos del Atlántico. Parque Central, Puerto Cortés. No phone. Terminal Metropolitana, San Pedro Sula. No phone.
Hedman Alas. Supermercado Ceibeño 4, Hwy to Trujillo, La Ceiba. 441-5347.
Impala. Barrio San Ramón, Puerto Cortés. 665-0606. Av. 2 between Cs. 4 and 5, San Pedro Sula. 553-3111.
Viana Clase Oro. Blvd. 15 de Septiembre, La Ceiba. 441-2330.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com