- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The Honduran Institute of Tourism (IHT) has made a big push in recent years to make the Caribbean coast an accessible tourism hub. Hotels are stocked with city maps and guidebooks. Its U.S.-based partner, Let's Go Honduras (no relation to the guidebook series Let's Go), is a great place to ask questions and gather tips, maps, and itineraries. The Web site is lacking, but the staff is responsive and thorough via e-mail. Local tourism chambers also have great contacts with tour groups and hotels. Tela, La Ceiba, and Trujillo all have small visitor centers that can provide directions and other helpful information.
Instituto Hondureño de Turismo. 222-2124. www.iht.hn.
Let's Go Honduras. www.letsgohonduras.com.
Chambers of Tourism
Cámara Nacional de Turismo (CANATURH). 239-9379 or 235-8533. www.canaturh.org.
Omoa and Puerto Cortés. www.camturcostadeoro.com.
Tela. 448-1793. www.telaescaribe.com.
La Ceiba. 408-5277 or 440-1791. www.laceibainfo.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $130-$138 -- 4-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Resort w/Credits Bookit.com
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com