La Mosquitia Restaurants
La Mosquitia Restaurant Reviews
In a country known for its simple cuisine, the fare in La Mosquitía is inescapably traditional. Complicated transportation in and out of the region essentially guarantees that most of the food is grown right at home, although a few basic staples such as coffee, sugar, and cured meats are regularly brought in on water taxis.
Indigenous villagers subsist principally on rice, beans, and the daily catch of fish, with handmade cheeses and homegrown eggs adding some bulk to the plate. Stopover towns like Puerto Lempira, Batalla, and Palacios have a few minimalist sit-down restaurants that serve chicken, beef, conch, and lobster with tajadas (fried plantain chips). Puerto Lempira's general store is a good place to stock up on snacks and fruit to appease grumbling stomachs during a hike.
Further into the rain forest, the only restaurants in Raista/Belén and Las Marías are the tiny dining areas, or comedores, found at the locally run ecolodges. Families prepare home-cooked meals for a flat fee of L70 each. Cold soft drinks and beer are usually on hand. Grub at the Bodden family cabins in Raista is exceptionally delicious, with scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast and a rotating lineup of spaghetti and beans or chicken and rice for dinner.
Travelers are largely expected to haul their own lunches along on excursions or treks. If you're on a package tour, most guides will be in charge of handling the middle meal. For adventurers exploring at their own pace, it's a good idea to buy nonperishable foods like canned tuna and granola to stow in a backpack.
Browse La Mosquitia Restaurants
Browse La Mosquitia Restaurants By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com