Health and Safety
Health and Safety
Strong repellent with DEET and bed netting are two essential companions in La Mosquitía, where mosquitoes carrying malaria and dengue fever still strike with occasional frequency. The easiest way to lower your risk is by covering up with lightweight clothing and steering clear of stagnant water. Travelers spending more than a week in the region might also want to consider taking antimalarial medications before, during, and after an excursion. Coastal towns like Puerto Lempira and Palacios are also ripe with less harmless, and yet incredibly annoying, sand flies. Oil-based lotions and cactus juice help trap the bugs before they can bite, but the easiest way to save your skin is to keep it unexposed.
Puerto Lempira is prone to petty crimes. Drug traffickers from South America increasingly use Palacios to smuggle contraband into the northern hemisphere, and they bring that activity's associated problems with them. Travelers need not discount Palacios altogether, but traveling with an organized tour group is strongly suggested.
Hospital Puerto Lempira is open 24 hours. 1.5 km (0.9 mi) southwest of town, Puerto Lempira. 433-6012 or 433-6078.
Clínica Evangélica Morava the medical wing of the Moravian Church in Honduras, provides quality medical care at a public clinic in Ahuas, and there's a sister center in Kaukira. Between Brus Laguna and Puerto Lempira, Ahuas. www.ahuasclinic.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $899 -- Luxe Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Trip w/Air, Save $820 Apple Vacations
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com