If You Have 2 days: Head east from Tegucigalpa to take in the colonial towns of Yuscarán and Danlí. Pick one in which to base yourself and visit the other as a half-day trip. (Yuscarán has one tiny hotel worth choosing for its cozy charm, but reservations are a must. Danlí's main lodging is much larger—space is rarely a problem—but the place is kind of nondescript.) In whichever order you choose, stroll around Yuscarán's colonial center and immerse yourself in its small-town past, peeking in at the exhibits at the Casa Fortín. In Danlí, make a point to visit one of the cigar factories.
If You Have 3 days: Three days gives you ample time to take in Isla del Tigre. Get an early start from Tegucigalpa and head south. Negotiate your passage with one of the boatmen at Coyolito on the mainland; 15 minutes later you'll be on Honduras's very own Pacific island. Three days allows you time to sample the island's three beaches most popular with visitors, and factors in time to discover lesser known ones, too. If you can arrange your three days to fall over a weekend, more facilities will be open. If you're there during the week, things will be very quiet.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com