- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The Asociación de Guías de Copán has a lock on guide services at the ruins themselves. You can arrange a guide in advance or when you arrive. They get high marks for their knowledge. Basecamp Outdoor Adventures, with office inside the Café Vía Vía, leads several hikes around the area. An alternative hike shows you how local people live. A nature hike takes you through the hills around town. An all-day expedition hike takes you to visit Maya Chortí villages. Yaragua Tours offers reservations and arrangements for all the major sites in the area, such as caving, hot springs, a canopy tour, and a hacienda tour. Tour prices vary, from about $15 for horseback rides to the waterfalls up to $45 for full-day trips with meals.
Asociación de Guías de Copán (Copán entrance. 651-4018).
Basecamp Outdoor Adventures (C. de la Plaza, 1½ blocks west of Parque Central. 651-4695. www.basecampcopan.wordpress.com).
Yaragua Tours (C. de la Plaza, southeast corner of Parque Central. 651-4147. www.yaragua.com).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $130-$138 -- 4-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Resort w/Credits Bookit.com
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com