Western Honduras Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Top Reasons to Go
Ponder the mysteries of the Maya. Other Mayan ruins in Mesoamerica are bigger and taller, but none can top Copán for intricate artwork and few ruins complexes are as accessible as this one is.
Explore Honduras's colonial past. Spanish conquistadors made history in this region of Honduras, and the small colonial communities of Comayagua, Santa Rosa de Copán, Copán Ruinas, and Gracias evoke a distant past that much of the rest of the country has forgotten.
Bird to your heart's content. The Lago de Yojoa, in the center of the country, is Honduras's bird-watching venue par excellence, with your choice of almost 400 species to add to your life list.
Stay at a charming inn. You'll find the whole gamut of accommodation here in Western Honduras, but it's the colonial inns in Copán Ruinas, Comayagua, and Gracias that provide a distinctive lodging experience and transport you back to pre-independence Honduras.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com