Fishing in Acapulco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fishing is what originally drew many of the early tourists to Acapulco, and it is still an abundant area. Billfish, striped marlin, pompano, bonito, red snapper, and tuna are in the ocean year-round; and carp, mullet, and catfish swim in the freshwater lagoons. You can arrange fishing trips through your hotel or at the Pesca Deportiva near the muelle (dock) across from the zócalo.
Acapulco Scuba Center is an excellent place to sign up for deep-sea fishing excursions. The center's 40-foot boats accommodate up to six passengers. Trips depart at 9 am, return at 2 pm, and cost $70 per person for scuba and $35 per person for snorkeling. Paseo del Pescador 13 and 14, near zócalo, Old Acapulco, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39300. 744/482-9474. www.acapulcoscuba.com.
We also recommend Fish-R-Us, which runs charter service for sailfish, tuna, and dorado fishing. Shared boats depart on Wednesday at 6 am. You can share a boat for $87 per person, with a maximum of six people, or rent a private yacht for $380 to $450 per day. Av. Costera Miguel Alemán 100, Fracc. Las Playas, Old Acapulco, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39300. 744/482-8282. www.fish-r-us.com.
For freshwater trips, try the companies along Laguna Coyuca. Boats accommodating 4-10 people cost $250-$500 a day, $45-$60 by chair. Excursions leave about 7 am and return at 1 pm or 2 pm. At the docks you can hire a boat for $40 a day (two lines). You must get a license ($12, depending on the season) from the Secretaría de Pesca; there's a representative at the dock, but note that the office is closed during siesta, between 2 and 4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com
- $499 & up -- Riviera Maya Resort & Marina All-Incl. w/Air — $499 CheapCaribbean.com