- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Evening horse-drawn carriage rides, known as calandrias, along the Costera are a fun way to get to a restaurant or club. Rides cost $7.50-$14, depending on the route. Be sure to agree on a price beforehand.
An open-air trolley, called the tranvía, starts at the Parque Papagayo and stops at the Fuerte de San Diego, La Quebrada, Caleta beach, the zócalo, the convention center, and at most hotels along the Costera. The trolley operates daily and costs $6.50 for a full day of unlimited rides.
Cruise the bay on the Fiesta & Bonanza (744/483-2531), which leaves from downtown near the zócalo at 4:30 pm and 10:30 pm. The evening cruise includes live Latin or disco music and dancing, and an open bar with domestic alcohol. Hotels and shops sell tickets ($22), as do waterfront ticket sellers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $90-$98 -- Today: 4-Star Cancun All-Incl. Resort, Save 40% BookIt.com
- $117-$137 -- Today: Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $95 -- Today: Riviera Maya All-Incl. Beach Resort, Reg. $299 — $95 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Escapes w/Air; Kids Stay Free — $799 Vacation Express