Around Mexico City Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Day-tripping to ancient cities: Spend the day scrambling over ruins and pyramids and be back in Mexico City for dinner.
Experiencing the great outdoors: Some of the country's highest mountains, such as Iztaccíhuatl, offer challenging climbs for the intrepid or easier trails at their bases.
The chance to eat Puebla's regional cuisine: The city has made some important contributions to Mexico's culinary heritage, such as mole, a sauce that can use upward of 30 different ingredients, including chocolate.
Getting a European vacation without having to cross the pond: Due to its lakeside location amid pine forests, and popularity with wealthy jet-setters, Valle de Bravo has been likened to the "Switzerland of Mexico."
Putting the guidebook away: In Tlaxcala and Cuetzalan, you'll run out of sights to see in the first 15 minutes. The real joy is strolling around without an agenda.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- 5-Star Award-Winning Hotel in Mexico City, Reg. $399 JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City