- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Just outside Mexico City's borders are villages and towns where the pace is decidedly slower. Many are graced with colonial-era cathedrals. You could follow the example of the capitalinos (Mexico City residents) and visit one of their favorite weekend getaways, such as Cuernavaca or Valle de Bravo. Or leave the modern world behind for one of the ancient ruins an hour or so outside the capital.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- 5-Star Award-Winning Hotel in Mexico City, Reg. $399 JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City