- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Cancún's Best Beaches
Offering 22½ km (14 miles) of accessible coastline, Cancún abounds with postcard-worthy beaches that beckon outdoor enthusiasts of every ilk. The warm weather and inviting water make it ideal for anyone in search of sunshine, adventure, and relaxation.
It's virtually impossible to find a bad beach here—they all have turquoise waters and powdery white sand. In general, beaches on the northwestern side tend to have calmer waters and softer sand than those facing the Caribbean. The sand is made up of microscopic star-shape fossils called discoasters, with a light and fluffy texture that stays cool underfoot, even when the sun is beating down. By law, the entire coast of Mexico is federal property and open to the public. Everyone is welcome as long as you enter and exit from one of the public points. The problem is these points are often miles apart. One way around the situation is to find a hotel that's open to the public, go into the lobby bar for a drink or snack, and then head to the beach for a swim.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $130-$138 -- 4-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Resort w/Credits Bookit.com
- $241 & up -- Cancun 5-Star Adults All-Inclusive Resort Excellence Playa Mujeres
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
- $211 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only Resort — $211 Excellence Riviera Cancun