When to Go to Cancún
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go to Cancún
The sun shines an average of 253 days a year in Cancún. The months between December and April have nearly perfect weather, with temperatures hovering around 84°F during the day and 64°F at night. May through September are much hotter and more humid, with temperatures that can top 97°F. The rainy season starts in mid-September and lasts until mid-November, bringing afternoon downpours that can last anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. El Centro's streets often get flooded during these storms, and traffic can grind to a halt.
High season for Cancún starts at the end of November and lasts until the first week in April. Between December 15 and January 5, hotel prices are at their highest, and may rise as much as 30% to 50% above regular rates. If you plan to visit during Christmas, Spring Break, or Easter, you should book at least three months in advance.
If you have travel-date flexibility, you can save 20 to 50% on accommodations during low season (the day after Easter through mid-December). The closing months of spring break and summer (May and October) still offer plenty of sunshine, and you won't have to rub elbows with other travelers on the beach.
Although costs drop from August to October, travelers might return home waterlogged rather than tanned. Lower prices and pleasant weather are available during the shoulder season from October 1 to December 15. Keep in mind that winter's strong north winds tend to eat away at the beaches, uprooting surface sea kelp. Less sand and choppy waters may result in overcrowded swimming pools.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com