- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At times, Chetumal feels more Caribbean than Mexican; this isn't surprising, given its proximity to Belize. A population that includes Afro-Caribbean and Middle Eastern immigrants creates a melting pot of music (reggae, salsa, calypso) and cuisines (Yucatecan, Mexican, and Lebanese). Although Chetumal's provisions are modest, the town has a number of parks on a waterfront that's as pleasant as it is long: The Bay of Chetumal surrounds the city on three sides. Tours go to the fascinating nearby ruins of Kohunlich, Dzibanché, and Kinichná, a trio dubbed the "Valley of the Masks."
Because this is the closest major town to Bacalar, Majahual, and Xcalak, many neighboring residents come here to do banking and stock up on supplies. Traffic can get very congested. In the town of Chetumal itself, you will see very few tourists.
Chetumal at a Glance
Elsewhere in Caribbean Coast
- Felipe Carrillo Puerto
- Playa del Carmen
- Playa del Secreto
- Puerto Aventuras
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Chetumal Savings! Book at Explorean Kohunlich Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less