- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Playa del Secreto
The secret is out—the half-mile stretch of white sand at Playa del Secreto is one of the most beautiful coastal communities in Riviera Maya. Surrounded by jungle and Caribbean waters, the protected shores are a favorite nesting ground for giant leatherback sea turtles, weighing up to 300 pounds. From May through October, early risers can watch baby turtles struggle from their shells and skitter down to the sea. The bordering jungle is home to foxes, deer, crocodiles, wild boars, and even jaguars. Bird-watching is excellent here with species ranging from wild parrots and hawks to kingfishers and black-necked stilts.
Playa del Secreto is midway between Cancún and Playa del Carmen, meaning that nightclubs, shopping, and restaurants are less than 20 minutes away.
Playa del Secreto at a Glance
Elsewhere in Caribbean Coast
- Felipe Carrillo Puerto
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Aventuras
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Explorean Kohunlich 3 Nts in May Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya Fr $84+/Nt Expedia