- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
To explore on your own, follow the beach road past Boca Paila to the secluded 35-km (22-mile) coastal strip of land that's part of the reserve. You'll be limited to swimming, snorkeling, and camping on the beaches, as there are no trails into the surrounding jungle. The narrow, rough dirt roads down the peninsula are filled with monstrous potholes, completely impassable after a rainfall. In rainy season, don't attempt it without a four-wheel drive vehicle.
The archaeological site at Muyil is about 16 km (10 miles) south of Tulum (village and archaeological site) on Federal Highway 307, which passes through the site. By car it's 145 km (90 miles) south of Cancún and 212 km (132 miles) north of Chetumal.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Explorean Kohunlich 3 Nts in May Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less