- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Safety and Precautions
Make sure you have a full tank before you drive south. Gas stations are few and far between, and often closed for no apparent reason.
Unlike the trafficked roads along Riviera Maya, the two-lane stretch near Belize is seldom visited by tourists. It's always best to travel with a partner and to drive during daylight hours. Drive with caution and be careful of wild animals and potholes. The road is especially bad at Kms 19, 29, and 30. Once you leave the paved road and enter Xcalak, the road goes from bad to worse. Be sure to rent a car that can handle pitted dirt roads.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Chetumal this May Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less
- Save at 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya: $84 & Up in May Expedia