Chiapas and Tabasco Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
People and Culture
In Chiapas you'll still find remote clusters of grass-roofed huts and cornfields planted on near-vertical hillsides. Things haven't changed much in centuries. Women still wrap themselves in traditional deep-blue shawls and coarsely woven wool skirts, and sunburned children sell fruit and flowers by the road. The region has nine distinct linguistic groups, most notably the highland-dwelling Tzotzils and the Tzeltals, who live in both highland and lowland areas. In more isolated regions, many villagers speak only their native language. In the past few years many more of the state's 4,224,800 residents have moved to the cities in search of work.
The 1,889,370 residents of Tabasco are much better off than their counterparts in Chiapas, because of the presence of the petroleum industry. Villahermosa, the capital, is a sprawling metropolis that looks forward, not back. But the people here haven't completely forgotten the past. The Parque-Museo La Venta, an open-air museum filled with stone heads carved by the Olmec people, is a place of pride for the residents.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Villahermosa Savings! Book at Fiesta Inn Villahermosa Fr $105+/Nt Expedia
- Villahermosa Savings! Book at Viva Villahermosa Fr $84+/Nt Save with Expedia, $68/night less
- Book the Quinta Real Villahermosa 3 Nts in May Fr $146+/Nt — $146 Save with Expedia, $66/night less
- May deal: Quality Inn Villahermosa Cencali Fr $101+/Nt — $101 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Villahermosa this May Fr $113+/Nt — $113 Expedia