- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Iglesia de San Juan Bautista
Iglesia de San Juan Bautista Review
Life in San Juan Chamula revolves around the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, a white stucco building whose doorway has a simple yet lovely flower motif. The church is named for Saint John the Baptist, who here is revered even above Jesus Christ. There are no pews inside, because there are no traditional masses. Instead, the floor is strewn with fragrant pine needles, on which the Chamulas sit praying silently or chanting while facing colorfully attired statues of saints. Worshippers burn dozens of candles of various colors, chant softly, and may have bones or eggs with them to aid in healing the sick. Each group of worshippers is led by a so-called "traditional doctor" (they don't like being called shamans), whose healing process may involve sacrificing a live chicken and always involves drinking Coca-Cola or other sodas; it is thought that the carbonation will help one to expel bad spirits in the form of a burp, and you'll see rows of soda bottles everywhere.
Before you enter, buy a $2 ticket at the tourist office on the main square. Taking photographs and videos inside the church is absolutely prohibited. Some tourists trying to circumvent this rule have had their film confiscated or their cameras smashed. Outside the church, cameras are permitted, but the Chamulas resent having their picture taken except from afar. The exception are the children who cluster around the church posing for pictures for money—they expect a $1 tip.
- Address: Plaza Central, Col. Centro, San Juan Chamula, Chiapas, 29320
- Hours: Daily 8--1 and 4--7
- Location: San Juan Chamula
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Villahermosa this May Fr $74+/Nt Save with Expedia, $77/night less
- Book in Villahermosa: Save this May Fr $101+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Howard Johnson Villahermosa Fr $63+/Nt — $63 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Villahermosa this May Fr $142+/Nt — $142 Expedia
- Book the Quinta Real Villahermosa 3 Nts in May Fr $146+/Nt — $146 Save with Expedia, $66/night less
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
My boyfriend just told me today, we should visit Tequila on our planned trip to PV.
We add to calendar a visit to Guadalajara since it is one of my favorite mexican cities, but have never been in Tequila. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more