- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Cozumel
Dive one of the world's great reefs: A rainbow of tropical fish, living coral, and other underwater creatures illuminates the 966-km-long (600-mile-long) Great Maya Reef, stretching from Cozumel to Central America.
(Un)wind your watch to island time: Lounge poolside, stroll along a white-sand beach, or explore the gardens above and below the waters at Chankanaab. Or just grab a table at a sidewalk café and watch the world go by.
Taste local flavor: San Miguel's Plaza Central is a Sunday evening hot spot for families and couples who gather for music and dancing. Visit during Carnival, the spring Fería del Cedral, or any national holiday, and you'll find parades, processions, and food stands with seasonal treats.
Meet the Maya: Take a refresher course on Mayan culture past and present at the Museo de Cozumel, then explore the temples dedicated to Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of fertility and the moon, at San Gervasio.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com