- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Banks and Currency Exchange
San Miguel is dotted with bank offices, and ATMs are abundant, including a few that dispense U.S. dollars. Some major hotels and resorts along the northern and southern hotel zones have ATMs on-site. Credit cards are readily accepted, as are U.S. dollars, although often at a disadvantageous exchange rate.
Health and Safety
Cozumel is very safe; the most trouble you're likely to get in has four wheels and a motor (drive carefully). If you plan to try water sports, make sure that your health or travel insurance has a sports rider.
Medicina Iperbarica Integral Cozumel International Clinic (Calle 5 Sur 21B, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, 77600. 987/872-1430 24-hr hotline.)
Cozumel Recompression Chamber (Medica San Miguel Clinic, Calle 6 Norte, between Avs. 5 and 10, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, 77600. 987/872-0103.)
Tours of the island's sights, including the San Gervasio ruins, El Cedral, Parque Chankanaab, and the Museo de la Isla de Cozumel, cost about $50 per person and can be arranged through travel agencies. Fiesta Holidays (Calle 11 Sur 598, between Avs. 25 and 30 987/872-0923), which has representatives in many hotels, sells several tours. Another option is to take a private tour of the island via taxi, which costs about $60 for a half day.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com