- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Guadalajara rests on a mile-high plain of the Sierra Madre del Occidente, surrounded on three sides by rugged hills and on the fourth by the spectacular Barranca de Oblatos (Oblatos Canyon). Mexico's second-largest city has an official population of about 4 million, though most estimates put the number of residents of the metro area closer to double this number, and is the capital of the western state of Jalisco. There's a mishmash of terrain here: pine-forest mountain ranges, semi-deserts, and coastal mangrove swamps.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com