- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The trip to Isla Contoy takes about 45 minutes to 1½ hours, depending on the weather and the boat, and costs $40-$60. Everyone landing has to purchase a $5 authorization ticket, though this is usually included in the cost of a guided tour. The standard tour begins with a fruit breakfast on the boat and a stopover at Xlaches reef on the way to Isla Contoy for snorkeling (gear is included in the price). As you sail, your crew trolls for the lunch it will cook on the beach: anything from barracuda to snapper. (Beer and soda are also included.) While the catch is being barbecued, you have time to explore the island, snorkel, check out the small museum and biological station, or just laze under a palapa.
The island is officially open to visitors daily 9 am-5:30 pm, and overnight stays aren't allowed. Other than the birds and the dozen or so park rangers who live here, the island's only residents are iguanas, lizards, turtles, hermit crabs, and boa constrictors. You can read more about Isla Contoy at www.islacontoy.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com