Sights & Attractions in Isla Mujeres
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Isla Mujeres Sights
To get your bearings, picture the island as a long fish: the head is the southeastern tip, the tail is the northwest prong. Eight kilometers (5 miles) long and 1 km (½ mile) wide, Isla Mujeres is easy to explore in a single day. If you take your time, however, you'll discover that the island is not a destination to be rushed. The virtually car-free dirt roads are best traveled by golf cart, scooter, or bike. Before leaving the rental agency, check your scooter and golf cart for scratches and dings. You may even want to take a photo for additional proof of the original condition. Otherwise, you'll pay dearly for any damage that was not noted prior to your rental agreement.If you're staying at one of the remote hotels on the southern tip, a taxi will take you from one end of the island to the other for $6.
If you want to tour the island by golf cart, start by looping the island exterior, stopping midway at the southernmost tip. Here you can walk down to the rocky shores where waves crash at your feet. The views from Punta Sur are magnificent, and the temple of Goddess Ixchel is worth a visit. Head back north and explore the tiny streets and colorful neighborhoods on the outskirts of town or relax at Playa Lancheros on the island's west side. This peaceful beach is a great place to see the area's dolphins, turtles, or nursing sharks before enjoying a traditional Mayan lunch at Playa Tiburón. Finish your tour with a sunset cocktail at Playa Norte before heading downtown for dinner and live music. To learn more about the history of Isla's famous sites, check out Hear & There, an audio tour available for checkout at Casa el Pio.
Browse Isla Mujeres Sights
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91-$97 -- Suite at 4-Diamond Cabo Family Resort, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $60-$96 -- Cancun All-Inclusive Water Park Resort, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com