- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The first archaeological site to the east of Oaxaca is Dainzú, about 20 km (12 mi) from the city. It dates as far back as 600 BC. Here you'll find some carvings that may remind you of the Dancers' Gallery at Monte Albán; these, however, depict a ball game.
The most spectacular sights are the well-restored ball court and the Tumba del Jaguar (Tomb of the Jaguar), with the fearsome head of a jaguar perched above the door. Pre-Columbian pottery shards litter the ground all over, evidence that this is a site that, unlike Monte Albán or Mitla, is still in the earlier stages of excavation. You'll likely have it to yourself, too. The grass-covered ruins are particularly pretty in the late-afternoon light. Note that there are no facilities here. Keep an eye out for the turnoff, because it's poorly marked; arriving from Oaxaca City, it's right before an overpass.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more
One of the Playacar resorts is offering a 5 night / 6 day stay for 2 people for $399, a $1385 value. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more