Annual Sporting Events
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Annual Sporting Events
The winter season brings foreign vessels and lots of racing and boating activities, including the five-day Banderas Bay Regatta. There are cocktail parties, charity events, receptions, seminars, additional races, and boat parades as well as competitive races among boats designed for coastal and offshore cruising. Puerto Vallarta. 322/297-2222. www.banderasbayregatta.com; www.vallartayachtclub.com.
The five-day Annual Sports Classic invites amateurs, pros, and semipros to compete in basketball, soccer, and bowling; some years they also offer events in tennis and beach volleyball. Most events take place at the Agustin Flores Contreras Stadium, Los Arcos Amphitheater, or the beach in front of the Holiday Inn. Puerto Vallarta. 322/226-0404 Ext. 6038 [Veronica Alarcon at Sheraton Buganvilias]. www.puertovallarta.net/news/sports-classic-2008.php.
The Puerto Vallarta International Half Marathon, held in early November, gets bigger each year. There's a 5K run, too, and a big pasta dinner on the beach the day before the race. Puerto Vallarta. www.maratonvallarta.com.
The International Puerto Vallarta Marlin & Sailfish Tournament celebrated its 55th anniversary in 2010. The entry fee is nearly $4,000 per boat (up to four fishermen), but the prizes and prestige of winning are great. Categories are dorado (mahimahi), tuna, marlin, and sailfish, the last catch-and-release. Puerto Vallarta. 322/225-5467. www.fishvallarta.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com